What is cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a fatty substance that occurs naturally in the blood. There are good and bad types of cholesterol.  We actually wouldn’t be able to live without it!  Cholesterol helps form the structure of every cell in the body.  It performs important functions in the body, including playing a role in tissue and hormone formation. It aids digestion and protects nerves.  

Where does cholesterol come from?

Approximately 75 percent of cholesterol is made in the liver and in other cells in the body. The remaining 25 percent is supplied by the foods we eat.

Differences between good and bad cholesterol

Diagnostic Testing, nj

LDL, or low density lipoprotein is considered to be “bad” cholesterol because it can not only clog arteries but also increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. The body produces LDL cholesterol, and some people inherit genes that cause overproduction.  It can be challenging  to keep your LDL low if high cholesterol runs in your family.  A great way to help is to change your diet including, reducing the amount of trans fats, saturated fat, and cholesterol.

HDL, or high density lipoprotein is often referred to as “good” cholesterol because it plays an important role in keeping “bad” cholesterol from clogging the artery walls.  Levels of HDL that are too low have been shown to increase the risk of heart disease as a healthy level of HDL is believed to protect against heart attack and stroke.  Sticking to a heart healthy diet while working in plenty of exercise is a great way to manage cholesterol levels to lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.

“High cholesterol is a risk factor for atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries. Can’t tell the difference between “good” cholesterol and “bad” cholesterol? This is where we come in- we can explain cholesterol clearly and help you to manage your cholesterol levels”.

Healthy Living in Dover

Dover, NJ a town in Morris County is located on the Rockaway River.  Dover offers a lot of parks and recreation to hike, bike, or walk to boost your cardio endurance in a fun and scenic way.  Crescent Field, Mountain Park, and Hurd Park are a few great options.  For the cooler months, try something indoors, such as Smash Fitness, Planet Fitness, or Fitness Factory.